Me Sébastien Poirier
Sébastien Poirier practices in the areas of municipal law and environmental law. His practice is varied and relates in particular to urban planning, contaminated land, protection of agricultural land, quarries and sand pits, expropriation, as well as wetlands and bodies of water. He also has expertise in the application of environmental regulations to companies operating in a field of federal jurisdiction.
- Sébastien Poirier advises and represents real estate owners, promoters, developers and builders in obtaining the required authorizations for their projects, whether to obtain a demolition permit, a building permit, a certificate of conformity, approval of a site plan or make representations at an information meeting or public consultation
- He represents clients in appeals against decisions of demolition committees or urban planning advisory committees before the City Council or a Borough Council and before the courts
- He represents clients in the context of requests for termination of use, demolition and cancellation of a subdivision under articles 227 and 228 of the Act respecting Land Use Planning and Development
- He analyzes urban planning regulations and provides legal opinions relating to the regulatory compliance of projects, acquired rights to use and construction as well as contributions for park purposes
- He represented several landowner associations in the National Energy Board review of the Energy East project and drafted the case for the inclusion of greenhouse gases in the review of the project
- He advised an important government institution on the existence of acquired rights under the Act respecting the Preservation of Agricultural land and Agricultural Activities
- He advises and represents clients in litigation relating to the purchase and sale of contaminated land or spills that have caused soil contamination
- He represents the owners of a quarry in litigation aimed at having them recognize acquired rights under the Environment Quality Act
- He advises landowners who face issues relating to authorized interventions in shorelines, coastlines and flood plains
- He advises and represents expropriated persons in the context of expropriation procedures undertaken by cities, the Quebec Ministry of Transport (MTQ) or other government agencies
- He notably represents tenants of a commercial building who will be expropriated during the extension of the blue line of the Montreal metro
- He participated in an action contesting an expropriation of a lot that was the subject of a conservation agreement under the Natural Heritage Conservation Act
- He participated in a contested intervention request to the Court of Appeal in order to obtain intervenor status for two non-profit organizations in a public interest case relating to the application of the Environment Quality Act
- He has represented clients before the CPTAQ (Québec Protection of Agricultural Land Commission) during an application for review of an order of the Commission and before the Québec Administrative Tribunal during a challenge to a decision of the Commission
- He defends the owner of a sand pit in a class action lawsuit relating to environmental nuisance
- He participated in the representation of an important Montreal cemetery in a case aimed at making it recognize a right of access to a public thoroughfare
Me Sébastien Poirier offers legal services to businesses, government agencies and citizens who must interact with a municipal body, or who encounter certain environmental issues in the exercise of their activities or on the occasion of a particular project.
Through his research experiences, he has developed a broad knowledge of environmental law in Quebec and Canada. In particular, he participated in a vast study on the extent of the constitutional jurisdiction of Quebec and municipalities in the environment and carried out a research mandate for Natural Resources Canada as part of the modernization of the National Energy Board.
Me Sébastien Poirier is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Quebec Business Council for the Environment and the Centre québécois du droit de l’environnement. He is fluent in French and English.
- Called to the Bar in 2017
- Bachelor of Laws, Université de Montreal, LL.B., 2015
- Master of Philosophy, Université de Montreal, M.A., 2011
- Bachelor of Science, Université de Montreal, B.Sc., 2009
Publications and Conferences
L’indemnité accessoire en matière d’expropriation: votre dommage est-il direct ou indirect?, Louis Beauregard and Sébastien Poirier, Développement récents en droit de l’expropriation (2019), volume 462, Service de la qualité de la profession du Barreau du Québec.
Les compétences fédérales et l’application de la réglementation et des lois provinciales environnementales: un ménage tumultueux, Sébastien Poirier and Roger Paiement, Développements récents en droit de l’environnement 2018, volume 450, Service de la qualité de la profession du Barreau du Québec.
L’étendue de la compétence constitutionnelle du Québec en environnement : un regard sur l’enjeu du transport interprovincial d’hydrocarbures, Sébastien Poirier, David Robitaille and Stéphanie Roy, IRAI, Study N°2, 2018
Le transport des hydrocarbures : enjeux juridiques et politiques, training for the Association régionale de Montréal de Québec solidaire, February 25, 2017
L’application du principe de précaution en vertu de l’article 20 in fine de la Loi sur la qualité de l’environnement : une porte grande ouverte, Sébastien Poirier, RJEUM, Volume 2, No. 1, 2016
© 2020 Tous droits réservés | Beauregard Avocats